Welcome!

Welcome to our class blog! This will be used for students on our team to share their thoughts and opinions on current events.


Students: Please remember to write an educated & thoughtful response when leaving a comment. Don't forget to proofread before you send.


Sunday, February 12, 2012

Texting While Driving

The Senate & House in the Florida Legislature are working on a bill that would ban texting while driving.  Your assignment:  Read this ENTIRE article (look for the additional pages at the bottom) and then respond as I’ve explained below.  Be sure to check your spelling and grammar before posting your comment.  Only some comments will be approved to show on this site.  If you want your voice to be head by your classmates, make your comment a good one!
Response:  State your opinion as to whether you think the Florida Legislature should or should not pass this bill.  Cite reasons from the article that support your opinion.  Do this in 3-5 sentences.  No more. No less.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the Florida Legislature should pass this law. Even though texting while driving is only one cause of car accidents, if it can be eliminated lives will be saved. "The Florida Legislature, with Republican supermajorities in both chambers, has been hostile to anti-texting bills; one died in committee last year. The reason generally given is that it would be government intrusion into people's lives." Even though the government may be intruding in citizens' lives a little bit and it may be inconvenient, inconvenience is better than death or injury.

Anonymous said...

I think that texting while driving should be legal. I think this because if it were banned then people would just pull their phones down lower and further away from the road. Statistics also say that the crash rate has gone up since the ban in 35 states and D.C.

Anonymous said...

I think that texting and driving shouldn't be illegal. I think it shouldn't be illegal because it said that after banning texting and driving, crash rates did not decrease. The only reason why it should be illegal is if crash rates went down after banning it.

Anonymous said...

I think that if you need to text while driving so badly that it can either wait or you need to pull over. There were 171,538 crashes last year in the first 10 months. 149 of them were from texting while driving. If texting while driving was banned the total would have been 171,389.

Anonymous said...

I do not believe that Florida Legislature should pass this bill. As mentioned in the article, Florida already has laws about reckless driving. Texting is dangerous and considered by many Americans, "reckless driving", but this doesn't give fair reason to make a law against it. I strongly agree with the author of the article, when a problem arises, we can't just rush to the government to pass a law opposing it. Rather, we should focus on making Americans aware of the problem, and educating everyone about it.

Anonymous said...

I think we should pass this bill because many people have died from texting while driving. A recent texting while driving accident caused one person to die and another person to break ten bones in her body. Some people don't care and they think that soon there won't be any more texting while driving accidents! I know that if you text while you drive you might get in a wreak. That's never going to change.

Anonymous said...

I strongly believe that the Florida legislature should pass the bill banning texting while driving.
I support this because the driver of the vehicle could potentially and severely harm themselves or other pedestrians or drivers. Another reason is that these innocent victims' deaths increase every year, meaning this conflict is getting out of hand. I agree with the statement made by Concklin at the end of the article: 'if it's so important, why not pull over?' This would prevent many of our citizens from risking there own lives, just to text someone.

Anonymous said...

I believe that Florida shouldn't pass this bill. As they said in the article, this is a silly law. Someone stated, when people first got cup holders in their car there were accidents but they didn't ban cup holders. This is a very silly idea because some people text while driving for a important reason. Passing this bill would stir up a lot of commotion and be a very BAD idea in my opinion!

Anonymous said...

I think that the Florida Legislature should pass the bill. The first couple of sentences of the article really caught my attention, on how she was in an accident and the person who hit her was still clutching the mobile device that killed him. I really hope that conversation was important. Even if it was important they could have pulled of the road.

Anonymous said...

I think the Florida Legislature shouldn't pass the new bill. It's not texting that's causing the car crashes, it's the drivers carelessly using their phones while driving. Crashes such as Concklin's weren't caused by a simple text, the driver who just couldn't wait to check their text was responsible for the crash. Texting doesn't cause crashes, the reckless owners of that phone does.

Anonymous said...

Well I think that they should ban texting while driving. The article said that states that did ban texting while driving didn't seem to have a difference in the number of crashes. Well, if they ban texting while driving, then if it doesn't make a difference, at least there will be a less likely chance that those crashes will be caused by texting drivers.

Anonymous said...

My opinion is that they should pass the bill because Joyce Concklin had 10 good reasons (10 broken bones) why all of the states should pass a bill that bands texting whiling driving. A driver who was texting ran into her and he died with his phone still in his hand. It is very scary that a driver who looks down for 5 seconds while going 55mph will cover the distance of a football field. That is why it is dangerous to text while diving because anything could happen while you are texting.

Post a Comment